I Have A Light Mixed Media Plaque - Creative Embellishments

Night Sky Mixed Media Plaque with Hanging Light Bulb and Nirvana Lyrics

Hi! I'm sharing the mixed media plaque that I created for the Creative Embellishments August Challenge today. My eye was immediately drawn to the glow around the lanterns and the beautiful color palette of the night sky in the inspiration photo.


My brain is about 90% song lyrics. I think the Nirvana lyrics pair nicely with the light theme I chose. I built this piece on a wood plaque, which is one of my favorite bases for mixed media projects. I primed the wood with a coat of black gesso and then added Tattered Angels Afraid of the Dark Glimmer Mist, which is a fantastic dark purple. Then, I used the Distressed Circle Stamp with black embossing powder to add some glossy texture to the base. I applied Pearl Texture Luxe over portions of the Galaxy Stencil to add some stars to the night sky. I loved the brush stroke application of paint in the inspiration piece. To get a thicker paint that I could apply with a spatula, I mixed acrylic color with molding paste.

Industrial Hanging Light Bulb Painted Metallic Silver with Liquid Glass Center

While the base was drying, I painted an Industrial Hanging Light Bulb with metallic silver paint. I glued a piece of plastic packaging to the back of the light bulb and applied Liquid Glass to the inside of the bulb for a more realistic finish. I attached the light bulb to the plaque with adhesive foam to help it look like it was hanging in the air. I used a label maker to stamp out the song lyrics, which I attached to this textured plaque with Extreme Double-Sided Tape. Finally, I brushed on a layer of Distress Rock Candy Stickles for a sparkly finish.

I hope you will find the time to join the Creative Embellishments August Challenge. Stop by the Creative Embellishments Blog for more details about the challenge rules and to see the fabulous inspiration pieces created by the rest of the design team.

Pin It!


Night Sky Mixed Media Plaque with Hanging Light Bulb and Nirvana Lyrics

Comments

Post a Comment