Embossed Velvet Tag - Clique International


Fall Tag with Embossed Velvet Bow Embellishment

Hi! I'm sharing a fun technique that fits with the Clique International Stamp-tember theme this month: how to emboss velvet using rubber stamps and a household iron. I love to incorporate different textures in my art and there is something about the cooler Fall months that always has me reaching into my fabric stash. Embossing velvet is a simple technique that produces beautiful results that are sure to add a wow-factor to your work.

How to Emboss Velvet Using a Rubber Stamp and a Household Iron

How to Emboss Velvet with a Rubber Stamp and a Household Iron

First, lay a stamp, rubber side up, on a flat surface. Next, place the velvet, nap side down, over the stamp and lightly mist the back of the fabric with water. Finally, press the iron, set to the wool setting (no steam), onto the fabric for about 20 seconds.

Blue Velvet Square with Embossed Ribbon Design

Lift the velvet from the stamp to reveal the embossed design. The resulting impression can appear shadowy or lustrous depending on the angle and reflection of light.

Embossed Velvet Designs Created with Rubber Stamps and a Household Iron

Here are a couple more examples. I liked the branded edge of the velvet so I left it along the bottom rather than trimming it away. I'm looking forward to using these pieces on future projects!

I used bits and pieces from several kits to create my tag. I pulled floral prints and colorful embellishments in a fresh Fall palette.

Clique International Supplies:

Limited Edition Bliss Kit (Mintay Chipboard Sentiment)
Limited Edition Wind Beneath My Wings Kit (Script Patterned Paper, Gold Washi Tape, Blue Buttons)
Over The Rainbow Clique Base Kit (Amy Tangerine Whole Lotta Love Blue Floral Patterned Paper)

Other Supplies: Shipping Tag; Velvet; Small Open Line Bow Rubber Stamp (Stampington and Company); Orange Lace; Brown Seam Binding Ribbon; Yellow Twine; Ball Pin; Adhesive: Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L

Pin It!

Embossed Velvet Tutorial with Fall Tag Inspiration Piece


Comments