Ridin' The Range - Moxxie


I'm sharing a layout that I created with the new Western Round-Up collection today. I had a lot of fun making this layered frame for my photo! I used several fun techniques to add age to my frames and I'm going to share my process with you today.


Here's a close-up of the frame.  I used a soldering iron to burn the pattern into the top wood piece of my frame.  I created the aged copper finish on the bottom layer of my frame with an antiquing solution set, an empty coffee bag and an embossing folder.


I embossed this wood frame to give me some guide lines. The raised areas were also easier to burn with my soldering iron.


I purchased an inexpensive wood burning kit that included this soldering iron with this flat head tip. I carefully burned the raised areas of this frame.  The longer the soldering iron touches the wood, the deeper and darker the burn.


Here is my completed top piece of the frame.  I also burned both the inside and outside edges of this piece. If you try this at home, please work carefully!  The soldering iron is extremely hot and takes quite a while to cool down once unplugged.


For the bottom layer of this frame, I started with another wood piece, an empty coffee bag and an embossing folder. I like to emboss coffee bags rather than foil because they are much thicker and harder to tear.


I embossed the coffee bag and wrapped the frame.


I have used this Sophisticated Finished Copper Metallic Surfacer and Patina Green Antiquing Solution several times and am always thrilled with the results.  This is a two-step process and is not a faux finish. If you don't like working with chemicals, this antiquing solution may not be for you, and there are several paint sets on the market that will give similar results.


Here is what the bottom piece of my frame looked like after treatment with the antiquing solutions. I love the aged copper look to this piece and am amazed that I was able to achieve this look in less than an hour!

Once my frame pieces were finished, I layered them on top of a piece of corrugated cardboard that I accented with a piece of twine for a rugged feel.

Thanks so much for stopping by today! If you are looking for even more Moxxie inspiration, stop by the Moxxie facebook page to see all the projects created by the talented Muses.

Supplies: Patterned Paper: Moxxie; Die-Cuts: Moxxie; Sticker: Moxxie; Corrugated Cardboard: Want2Scrap; Embossing Folder: Couture Creations; Wood Burning Kit: Horizon; Antiquing Set: Sophisticated Finishes; Other: Twine, Coffee Bag

Comments

  1. Dana, that is one amazing layout and has amazing texture and interest!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wowwwwwwwwwwwwww! Just gorgeous! I loveeeeeeeee the colors and that frame is AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow...love the tut's Dana....thanks for the show and tell!!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment