Matryoshka Art Journal Page - Clique International

 

Stamped and Stenciled Art Journal Page with Paper Pieced Matryoshka Russian Nesting Doll

Hi! I'm sharing an art journal page that I created using the amazing Clique World Heritage Matryoshka Kit for Clique International today. The double-sided 8x8 inch patterned papers in this kit are designed and printed in the U.K. from Angela Poole. This kit is a celebration of the heritage of folk art exemplified by the hand-painted charming matryoshka dolls from Russia. The rich colors and folk art influenced motifs are beautiful for any project. I know that you will fall in love with them too!

The word matryoshka has a Latin root (mater) meaning "mother" and these hand carved nesting wooden dolls symbolize the lineage of fertility passed from generation to generation. The largest doll is the maternal figure with all of the generations inside representing the importance of women as creators and nurturers. The original doll maker had the idea of making a toy with many little toys inside. The motifs painted by peasant folk artists represented the reverence for female fertility and abundance in an agricultural society. The traditional matryoshka doll is depicted as carrying a Rooster, also a peasant motif symbolic of masculine fertility.

Stamped and Stenciled Art Journal Page with Paper Pieced Matryoshka Russian Nesting Doll

I started with a page from the Studio Light Art by Marlene Art Journal. The page measures approximately 7.5 x 10 inches. All the pages in this album are ring-bound, which means that the pages are removable! I loved working on a single page rather than inside a bulky bound journal. I primed the page with gesso and then used the Amy Tangerine Brave and Bold Watercolor Set to add color to the page. I used blue acrylic paint with a stencil in the center of the page to add more texture to the design. I created a large nesting doll using the patterned papers from the kit. The face I placed on the doll was from my own supplies.

How to Embellish Stamped Doilies on an Art Journal Page

I embellished the page with stenciled and stamped designs using supplies from my stash that had similar folksy elements as the beautiful patterned papers. I added a red bow to a Russian doll wood button and placed it over the center of my large nesting doll. The blue crystal rhinestones were a fun way to embellish the centers of my doily stampings.

I used the stamp set from the kit to add the "Beautiful Inside & Out" sentiment to the page which really resonated with me. While many view nesting dolls as a symbol of a nurturer, I think of the outer shell as the me that faces the world. I only reveal my true inner layers to a select group of trusted people.

Once I had the majority of my page elements in place, I added doodles and dots with white and black markers and black watercolor to add finishing touches to the design.

Clique International Supplies:
Clique World Heritage Matryoshka Kit
Studio Light Art by Marlene Art Journal
Amy Tangerine Brave and Bold Watercolor Set

Other Supplies: Acrylic Paint: DecoArt, Ranger; Paint Pens: Posca; Markers: American Crafts; Solvent Ink: Tsukineko; Stamps: Kaisercraft, Maya Road; Stencils: Prima Marketing, The Crafter's Workshop

Pin It!

Stamped and Stenciled Art Journal Page with Paper Pieced Matryoshka Russian Nesting Doll


Comments